Counselling and Relationship Therapy
I'm an experienced and specialised relationship therapist who uses a range of counselling modalities to assist couples. My relationship therapy work is based on the Bader Pearson Developmental Model, as well as drawing from the Gottman Method and other modalities as appropriate. The developmental model assists each person to gain a greater awareness of unconscious interactional patterns and emotional triggering. It also ensures that people don't feel reliant on their partner changing in order to make progress, as it encourages each partner to focus on their own change, instead of looking to their partner for solutions. It includes a sophisticated skills training approach that allows clients to learn new skills in the context of meaningful exercises that are relevant to them. This ultimately decreases conflict and improves communication and intimacy.
Together we will identify the issues in the relationship and what you would like to improve. A variety of approaches will be used to help you repair your relationships, rebuild intimacy and connection with each other, improve your communication, increase your understanding of yourself and your partner, resolve conflicts and build a stronger, more resilient relationship to take you into the future.
My practice is guided by the NZAC (New Zealand Association of Counsellors) Code of Ethics and I hold a current practicing certificate as a full member.
As your counsellor I will:
Work alongside and with you in partnership.
- Consult with you about your goals, directions and thoughts around the counselling process.
- Combine your personal knowledge and expertise, with my abilities as a counsellor, so that we work together to find your own individualised ways forward.
- View the problem as separate from the person i.e. the problem is the problem, the person is not the problem.
- Acknowledge and jointly identify your own unique skills, abilities, strengths, values, commitments, beliefs and competencies that will help you with the problems that may be influencing your life.
- Develop practical tools, techniques and resources to assist you.
- Promote self-reliance and the use of your own resources in meeting whatever challenges are present and also develop your own ways of managing things in the future.
- Make all case notes available to you and written in your words with no technical or theoretical terms used.
- Be transparent with my thoughts and ideas and allowing room for you to disagree or correct me.
- Not make assumptions or judgments.
- Enjoy the spontaneity of our conversation.